Here today, gone tomorrow… or at least that is how coco trend came and went. It’s not that it is all bad but, like anything, needs to be used correctly and in moderation. When this trend started, people were so lathered head to toe in coconut oil they could slip in slide on dry concrete. But it seems that all good things must come to an end… here’s the skinny.
If you are breaking out and your skincare regimen includes coconut oil or products that contain coconut oil on your face, it is likely the cause. This oil is comedogenic which means it will cause blackheads and congest your pores. Oil can sometimes sound counterintuitive to apply to your face but there are many that are actually great for hydrating and repairing- coconut oil is not one of them. On the rating scale of 1 to 5 of oils that will clog your pores, coconut oil lands in the 4-5 range depending on the brand. Coconut oil does, however, still have many useful and healthy attributes in the right application that won't leave you feeling pissed from a breakout.
Most of us have coconut oil somewhere in our household. Here are a multitude of ways that coconut oil can be used in a beneficial way:
- Homemade Bulletproof coffee! This is a great way to kick start your day because it provides you with a ton of energy by brewing some coffee and blending then blending it with two teaspoons of silver label Kerrygold Grassfed Pure Irish Butter, and one to two teaspoons of coconut oil. The blender gives it a frothy latte looking consistency and it hyper activates the molecular composition of the drink. The butter breaks down caesins allowing you to get 3.4x the antioxidants. Also, breaking down the fat into smaller molecules makes it easier to digest. The ketones in the coconut oil helps your body stay in ketosis (fat burning mode) all day. Bulletproof has a whole line of products now that have this same effect- protein bars, collagen protein powder, cold brew bottles, etc and can be bought at Whole Foods, Bulletproof coffee shops, and other health food stores. https://blog.bulletproof.com/how-to-make-butter-coffee-bulletproof/
- Cuticle oil. Rub this on your cuticles as a softener or mix it in with a Gold Bond lotion or something extra hydrating.
- Try using coconut oil instead of butter or olive oil for a healthy snack such as popcorn. Low calories and tastes delicious!
- Dry callused feet. Don’t wait until you’re getting a foot rub to realize those dogs need love. Apply twice a week if not more depending on how dry your heels may be.
- Hair conditioning treatment. Apply to damp hair and run from scalp to tips of your hair. Leave in for at least 30 minutes but the longer the better and more conditioned your hair will feel. The vitamins and essential fatty acids help nourish the scalp and remove sebum buildup from the scalp. This treatment is not for everyone but it is great for fine to medium shiny hair because you may be low on natural hair protein. Ingesting coconut oil, such as by way of #1 and #3 in this list, can benefit your hair as well due to its high Medium Chain Fatty Acids and antioxidants.
- Natural, raw forms of coconut oil contain a lot of lauric acid and Vitamin E which help with combating scars or stretch marks. Lather up mamas!
- In particularly dry seasons, using this as a body moisturizer especially on your elbows and knees can have great benefits just be cautious not to apply to areas like the chest, neck, back, etc. You don’t want to self-induce “bacne”!